Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Typical Tourist in Toronto

We started our day with a 3-hour city tour. Chatting with the guide during a coffee break I found out that the guide association in Toronto likes to look at the DC Guild of Professional Tour Guides Association website for inspiration. Since I am the person who designed the layout for the Guild website and am the editor of our e-newsletter, I can now say that my work is known internationally.

After our city tour we had free time for the rest of the day.  Slava and I went to Ripley’s Aquarium. A fabulous part of that is a moving sidewalk that takes visitors through a plexiglass tunnel in a saltwater tank.  You are surrounded by sharks and rays and lots of fascinating fish.

Our evening activity was dinner in Restaurant 360 high up the 1,000 ft. CN Tower. This was most likely the fanciest dinner on our trip. I had Newfoundland cod, served with glacial water shrimp, snow crab leg and partridge berries. We saw the sun set over Toronto as the the restaurant rotated 360 degrees.

We came down shortly before someone important came up. Prince Harry.  The prince is in town for the Invictus Games, an organization he started in 2014 for wounded military veterans. We have seen international teams around town at various times, and at the aquarium I talked with a British woman who came to support her paraplegic husband, a competitive swimmer.  The big buzz of the event was that just yesterday Prince Harry had appeared at the Invictus Games with Meghan Markle. The two have obviously been seen together many times, but in royal circles it’s a big deal to go public at an official event.  Meghan is now a resident of Toronto, and this is where she films her TV show “Suits.”  The prince took time from the Invictus Games to watch her rehearse yesterday.

The typical tourist in Toronto doesn’t see Prince Harry. I didn’t see him. That’s why I call myself a typical tourist. 

No comments: